In New Orleans, you face heavy competition in the public eye, especially in the arts, entertainment and corporate environments. And while you do your part to look your best by maintaining healthy oral habits, a little cosmetic dental work can make a huge improvement in your smile — and in your confidence. Teeth reshaping is one of the most inexpensive procedures you can get from your New Orleans-based cosmetic dentist and dental clinic.
You may have one or two teeth that don’t match the rest. Or maybe there’s one tooth that has been chipped or worn down more than the others. Perhaps your front teeth are disproportionately larger than the rest of your teeth, causing crowding. Whatever the issue, you aren’t pleased with your overall appearance. And the disproportionate teeth may even be causing you bite or speech problems.
Fortunately, your New Orleans dentist has the tools and techniques to make your smile pleasing. Teeth are sometimes oddly shaped for many different reasons. Genes, uneven wear, a break or chip due to biting down on something hard can result in one tooth being noticeably different from the rest. If you’re in the public eye, this difference can be disconcerting and distracting. Talk to your Mid City cosmetic dentist about teeth reshaping to even out your smile.
Show Off Your Smile
When you visit Comfort Smiles, your smile is our top priority. Dr. DuBois and his dental team are dedicated to providing you with the personalized, gentle care that you deserve. Our dentist provides general, restorative and cosmetic dental services designed to assist each patient in achieving and maintaining long-term dental health and a beautiful smile.
Are You a Good Candidate for Teeth Reshaping?
Tooth reshaping — also called tooth sculpting — is a safe and conservative method that subtly changes the look of overcrowded, chipped, etched or misshapen teeth. A tooth can become weak if too much enamel is removed, so this procedure removes the least amount possible to protect the tooth.
Before doing any teeth reshaping, your New Orleans cosmetic dentist ensures your teeth and mouth are healthy. You may then get recommendations about possibly combining this procedure with veneers or bonding.
Issues Addressed by Teeth Reshaping
Because tooth reshaping is a conservative method, it can’t address every dental issue. It’s most effective for:
- Correcting one or two crooked teeth
- Chipped teeth
- Cracked teeth
- Overlapping teeth
- Altered teeth from the improper fit of previous dental restorations
- Acid etched teeth
- Shifted teeth from gingivitis or accidents
Preparation and Procedure of Teeth Reshaping
Your New Orleans cosmetic dentist uses the latest techniques and equipment to deliver results that meet or exceed your expectations. After taking X-rays to evaluate the structure and location of the pulp in each tooth, your dentist evaluates your jawbone to ensure that each has good tooth support. You may even see computer imaging photos of how you’ll look after the procedure.
Your dentist marks your teeth to guide the sculpting process. Using a sanding drill or laser, your talented cosmetic dentist smooths or minimizes grooves, nicks, or other imperfections. If necessary, abrasive strips may be used between your teeth to shape the sides.
Teeth reshaping is often combined with other procedures for the best results. Your dental needs may require multiple steps for your greatest satisfaction. Other procedures that complement teeth reshaping include:
- Tooth contouring. Contouring creates better alignment for uneven bites. It’s sometimes used to prevent chipping from becoming worse or softening jagged edges.
- Dental veneers. If your teeth are severely discolored, chipped or noticeably misshapen — or if they have small pits from acid erosion — veneers provide a more even appearance. Most veneers require very little enamel removed. This etching of your enamel provides a seat to glue your custom-made veneers to your teeth. Newer veneers, called Lumineers, are so thin they can adhere directly to the teeth without etching.
- Dental bonding. This procedure works best to fill in noticeable holes or gaps between your teeth or to enlarge an unusually small tooth. Your New Orleans based dentist applies a bonding material to shape, sculpt and color your tooth. A high-intensity light hardens the material, chemically bonding it to your tooth. The tooth is then polished to match the others. Because the material chemically bonds to the tooth, it’s very durable.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Teeth Contouring and Reshaping
With teeth reshaping, your New Orleans cosmetic dentist only removes a very small amount of enamel. That’s good because your enamel doesn’t grow back. The procedure is simple, quick and painless. It’s also one of the most inexpensive smile makeover options available to you.
Tooth reshaping can only go so far, though. If too much enamel is removed, you may be at risk for breaking or decay. Also, if you desire major changes, this procedure isn’t a good fit. If your teeth became uneven due to grinding, you need to resolve the grinding issue to keep your reshaped teeth from becoming uneven again. As with most cosmetic dentistry options, your dental insurance may only cover the procedure if you’re having it done following an accident.
Teeth reshaping can make a pleasant difference for small imperfections. It can be used in combination with other procedures to enhance your smile. The procedure gives you more confidence and positive self-esteem as you face the busy competitive New Orleans marketplace with your newly even and polished look.
Do you have questions about Teeth Reshaping in New Orleans? Would you like to schedule an appointment with an experienced Cosmetic Dentist? If so, please contact our office.