Mini Dental Implants vs. Traditional Implants
Traditional implants in New Orleans often aren’t necessary, especially if you’re already wearing dentures and are just looking for a more aesthetically pleasing alternative. Your cosmetic dentist at your NOLA Dental Clinic is pleased to introduce you to the benefits of mini dental implants that may be the best option for you.
If you’re a denture wearer or have one or more missing teeth, dental implants may be a good fit. But you also have choices when it comes to implants as dental surgery becomes more advanced. Your Comfort Smiles Dentistry specialists can help you decide if traditional implants or mini dental implants are the better option. Implants are the nearest thing to natural-looking teeth.
Both innovative tooth replacement systems restore your smile with permanent or semi-permanent solutions. And in the capable hands of a general dentistry expert who’s also experienced in all facets of cosmetic dentistry, your oral health and appearance play equal roles in the discussion about what’s best for you.
Show Off Your Smile
When you visit Comfort Smiles, your smile is our top priority. Dr. DuBois and his dental team are dedicated to providing you with the personalized, gentle care that you deserve. Our dentist provides general, restorative and cosmetic dental services designed to assist each patient in achieving and maintaining long-term dental health and a beautiful smile.
Lowdown on Traditional Implants
Traditional implants are cylinders or screws made of titanium that act as anchors, replacing your natural tooth roots. Used for either your upper or lower jaw, these implants are directly attached to your jawbone and gum tissue. Traditional implants eliminate the hassle of removable dentures, and they look, feel and function like natural teeth, allowing you to eat the foods you love, speak and smile with more confidence.
Implants typically are inserted in three steps:
- Your dentist places the implant surgically, setting it slightly above the top of the bone. A screw is inserted into the implant to keep the area clean of debris and gum tissue. Your gum then is sutured over the implant. For the next three to six months, the bone fuses around the implant, making it permanently part of your jaw bone. You may experience some swelling or tenderness for a couple of days after the surgery. Soft foods and over-the-counter medication help ease your pain.
- After the implant fuses with the bone, the gum is pulled away from the implant and a post is attached. The gum is allowed to heal around the post.
- A crown is made to match your surrounding teeth and is attached to the implant post.
Implants are a good choice if you have healthy gums and sufficient bone to support the implants. Because of the cost of crowns, this is a slightly more expensive option.
Mini Dental Implants as a Viable Alternative
If you already have dentures, they may be adapted to use mini dental implants. This system relies on a miniature titanium implant with a retaining fixture incorporated into the base of your denture. This minimally invasive one-step procedure usually takes just over an hour and doesn’t require months of healing.
The tiny titanium implant is carefully and securely screwed into your gum and jaw bone. After placing two or more in your jaw, your modified dentures are snapped in place on these posts. All this can be accomplished by your New Orleans cosmetic dentist on the same day, saving you time, hassle and reducing discomfort and costs.
Mini Dental Implant Benefits
Saying goodbye to loose dentures with this process has multiple benefits:
- It’s a less invasive procedure.
- Your healing time is much quicker.
- Because of the size of the implants, you have little to no post-surgery discomfort.
- The process is convenient and comfortable long-term.
- There are fewer complications.
- It’s a more affordable treatment option than traditional replacements.
- They renew your confidence as you eat and smile.
- Mini implants can be used to anchor dentures, crowns or bridges.
- Like other implants, mini implants help to preserve your bone and facial appearance.
- Even if you have a reduced jawbone structure, mini implants can be successfully implanted without any additional bone graft surgery.
Mini Dental Implants vs. Traditional Implants
With the positives of mini dental implants, you may be wondering why you should consider traditional implants. For single teeth replacement or where you bite down with significant force, traditional implants may be a better long-term option. If you already have dentures or a bridge, the mini dental implant procedure may fulfill your needs in a much more cost-effective manner.
The goals of both procedures are the same:
- Renewed confidence in your smile
- Being able to eat your favorite New Orleans foods without concern
- Eliminating discomfort from slipping or loose dentures
- Preserving your bone and face appearance
- Providing a natural, healthy solution to your missing teeth
The staff at Comfort Smiles Dentistry in New Orleans work with you, taking into consideration your budget, your current state of oral health, the number of teeth you need restored and any other questions or concerns you may bring. Your satisfaction helps you maintain good oral health and its overall benefits to your greater health.
Do you have any questions about Mini Dental Implants vs. Traditional Implants? Would you like to schedule an appointment with the top implant dentist in New Orleans? Please contact our office.